How to Ship Products from Home – as a Small Indian Business
eCommerce is a thriving business segment in the present times. With the technology boom and increase in digitization, people have been lured towards the idea of shopping as they sit at home comfortably. With this pervasive ideology in fair play, various small eCommerce businesses are picking up the pace from their home office. An essential and urgent process that completes the operations of any eCommerce business is shipping. Without shipping, eCommerce business cannot exist, making it an indispensable part of the whole idea.
How to plan to ship your products?
Before you even start an eCommerce business, it is important that you consider the shipping process for your products. Depending on the cost and weight of your products, you will have to decide one of the many options available to make your goods available to the customer. In India, many logistics firms provide shipping services for online businesses all over the country at varying rates and charges. While you can choose one of these options anytime, you can also explore options for contract shipping and bulk shipping. While the process will remain the same in either case, you might get the benefit of reduced charges and rates with one or the other option.
Why is it important to offer excellent shipping service?
For the most part, since eCommerce businesses lack a personal touch, the only point of contact that a customer comes in, with the business, is when he receives the product. You may even consider that the delivery person who delivers your product at the customer’s doorstep is likely a representative of your business. Therefore, to control the customer’s impression about your business, it is important to make this process seamless and fluid, so that your customer receives his products with satisfaction. Let us take a look at the elements that are likely to impress your customer with your shipping choices.
How do you ship things from home to customers?
With a few general pointers in mind, you can get the whole process quite right and gain your customer’s confidence quite easily.
- It matters a lot how do you pack a box for shipping. With different variety of products, you would be forced to choose a different form of packaging. For example, items that can suffer breakage easily, need to be packed with ample stuffing and bubble wraps, to avoid the incidence of breakage. Similarly, there are other items that might require packing space in the carton while you send them out. The important point to note here is that you must not stuff the items or present them poorly. Pack them in a way that when the customer opens the package, he feels flushed with excitement and satisfaction.
- Choose different packaging options such as corrugated pads or easy fold mailers for specific products.
- Choose a convenient and friendly shipping carrier that meets your budget and cost targets. You can opt for contract shipping or local shipping carriers, depending on the items to be shipped and their costs.
- Define the shipping constraints that you wish to impose on your customers. This could include free shipping or chargeable shipping. Policies in this regard would have to be framed separately.
- Calculate shipping rates in advance for your ready reference, which would be based on packing size, package weight, departing country and insurance.
Once you have set every thing for your goods to reach your customer, make sure that you follow up with the shipping carrier at regular intervals, to ensure that your goods are on time and will reach the intended customer within the time frame, as promised by you. By taking care of each step, you can satisfy your customers.