How to Register for GST Online in India [Step by Step Complete Guide]
The Goods and Services Tax, also known as GST is one nation one tax system of India where it is mandatory for a seller to get enrolled for it who wishes to carry business in the country. The process for applying and registering for GST has been made fairly simple and free from any requirement of hard copies of the documents, that is, it is a paperless process. You can easily apply for GST number online which saves lots of time and undue hassles.
These are the 4 steps involved in online GST registration process in India:
Step 1: Generating the GST application
As the first step, you need to apply for the Temporary Registration Number (TRN). To get this, you would need a valid mobile number (Indian number), your PAN details, and the email address of the business.
- Log on to the official GST portal – https://www.gst.gov.in/.
- Navigate to the Services tab, and select Services > Registration > New Registration.
- Enter all the prerequisite details on the Registration page, along with the PAN number, email address, and the mobile number. Then click, proceed.
- Once done, you will receive OTPs (one time passwords) on your mobile and on your email ID in order to verify these contact details of yours.
- Please note that these OTPs are valid for only 10 minutes. It is also possible to regenerate the OTP, if required.
- Once this process is complete, you will get the Temporary Reference Number (TRN).
- Now either click Proceed or go to these tabs in sequence, Services > Registration > New Registration option, and then select the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) radio button to login using your newly generated TRN.
- Enter the TRN number that you had generated in the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) field, and then enter the captcha text as displayed on the screen.
- You will again receive an OTP on your mobile number and the provided email ID to verify your identity. Enter the new OTP in the required field.
Once verified, you will be redirected to the My Saved Application page. You have 15 days to submit your application with all the required details.
- Now click the Edit button and proceed to step 2 for filling the GST application form.
Step 2: Filling the GST application form
Once you have acquired the TRN number, now you would need to fill up the GST application form. It has 10 sections, and you need to click each tab to fill that particular section. To be double sure about what information you provide, it is advisable that you consult your tax consultant or GST Practitioner.
In these tabs, you will be asked to provide your business details including business name, place, partners, etc.
You will also need to submit scanned copies of the following documents along with additional personal information:
- Valid Bank Account Number along with IFSC Code
- Proof of incorporation and constitution/incorporation of business
- Deed of Partnership for partnership businesses
- Registration Certificate of the business entity
- Proof of primary place of business
- Photo of the director, promoter, partner, the main member of Hindu undivided family (HUF)
- Proof of appointment of the Authorized Signatory
- Photo of the Authorized Signatory
- Front or first page of the bank passbook/bank statement that has the bank account number, branch account holder address, and latest transaction details
As you are ready with the scanned copies of all the required documents, proceed with the filling of all the required details in the different available tabs.
Step 3: Registering for Digital Signature Certificate
It is mandatory to sign the application form digitally to verify the GST application. It is compulsory for LLPs and companies. For that you need to:
- Install the DSC software on your computer.
- Contact any one of the certifying authorities mentioned on the site http://www.cca.gov.in/cca/.
- After the DSC software installed, you need to have the DSC Dongle.
- Install DSC signer from emsigner.com, and get the digital signature done successfully.
Step 4: Verifying and Submitting the GST Application
- You can verify the form through DSC
- You can verify the form through e-signature
- You can verify the form through EVC
Once the process is verified and complete, there will be an Application Reference Number (ARN) generated. It will be sent to your mobile number and email address. This number can be used to keep track of the GST application status (Services > Registration > Track Application).
- After the status is shown as Approved, an email and SMS will be sent saying that GST number is generated.
- You will also be provided with a temporary username (the GSTIN number itself) and a password for logging into the GST site
- Click on the First time login option at the bottom of the login page and change the username and password for future use.
- You will be able to download the Registration Certificate within 3-5 days. The navigation path is: Services > User Services > View or Download Certificates, and click the Download button.
This way you will be able to get your GST number successfully.