Speed Post Courier Services By India Post: A Complete Overview
India, a country of 1.4 Billion people, has an extensive postal service network thanks to a host of courier services spread across the country. Doing most of the heavy lifting is the government-operated postal system, India Post. It is the trade name of the Department of Posts (DoP) which has been running for more than 150 years. The DoP has over 155,000 post offices, making it the largest postal network worldwide.
With such a large population, a robust courier network is required to cater to all sections of society. Whether it is sending a letter to your loved ones or shipping a parcel, India Post’s services have you covered. Almost everything, from personal belongings to industrial equipment can be sent across the country via India Post. While there are different types of services, Speed Post courier is the preferred choice for almost every other person because of its ease of use, shortened delivery timelines and affordability.
What is Speed Post?
Speed Post is a high-speed postal service provided by India Post. Started in 1986, it offers fast delivery of parcels, letters, cards, documents, and other important stuff. The Indian Postal Department started this service by the name of “EMS Speed Post.”
Speed Post is the fastest form of delivery known to people in tier-2 and tier-3 cities in India. Even today, many rely on Speed Post for successfully delivering their packages. Along with time-bound delivery and excellent coverage, Speed Post offers a Status Tracking Service that helps people track the status of their parcels.
In ancient times, people just had one way to connect with others, i.e., through letters, which took many days to reach the destination. Eventually, the postal service was introduced. It aided the fast delivery of letters. However, with the emergence of the internet and telecommunication, sending letters through posts has decreased manifold. People can now connect in seconds.
But, even with the emergence of technology, people still use postal services to send and receive essential documents such as commercial papers, official documents, and more. However, with the introduction of courier aggregators such as Shiprocket, the entire scenario of Speed Post and couriers has changed. The goods and documents are delivered faster and with higher accuracy.
Features Of Speed Post Courier
Let us have a look at some of its features:
- Provides express and time-bound deliveries of upto 35 kgs all over India.
- An affordable nationwide delivery for ₹35.00 and local delivery for ₹15.00 on packages weighing upto 50 gms.
- Insurance of consignments upto ₹1 lakh.
- Online tracking service to track consignments from booking to delivery.
- Free pickup service for corporate or bulk customers.
- No need for upfront payment. Corporate and contract customers can use a credit facility.
- Volume-based discounts for corporates and bulk orders.
- Cash on delivery service for eCommerce and online sellers.
Provides compensation in cases of delay, loss of article, pilferage or damage – double the Speed Post charges or ₹1,000 whichever is less
How Does Speed Post Work?
Follow the steps given below to send a speed post courier:
- Buy an envelope from the post office. Insert the letter/courier into it, seal the envelope, and write ‘Speed Post’ on the top of the envelope.
- Write the receiver’s name, address, and contact details on the left side of the envelope.
- Next, mention your details like name and address on the right side.
- Hand over the courier to the Speed Post staff.
- The staff will calculate the shipping rate as per the courier’s weight and destination.
- The next step includes the speed post staff printing and attaching the shipping label, and forwarding the courier for further processing.
The Bottom Line
Speed Post courier service is undeniably persistent with its market share. But, in today’s competitive times, when an eCommerce website or online store comes up every other day, it isn’t easy to deliver CX consistently. As an eCommerce seller, you must be prepared for unforeseen circumstances. To keep delivery mishaps at bay, it is recommended that you use a courier aggregator.
The courier aggregators help you deliver seamlessly on time and reduce your shipping costs by providing multiple courier options at your convenience.
Want to know more about courier aggregators or Shiprocket? Let us know in the comments section, and we’ll be there to help you happily!
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Yes, you can book the delivery of eCommerce packages through their eCommerce portal, ecom.indiapost.gov.in.
You can track your Speed Post orders with their consignment tracking number.
Only on special occasions like Raksha Bandhan or New Year do they provide delivery on Sundays.